Officially named the ‘Clarence Schock Memorial Park at Governor Dick,’ the park is located in Mount Gretna, Pennsylvania. The park offers approximately 10 miles of trail open to bicycles. Signs are clearly marked to indicate which trails are open to bicycles, and which are not.
Governor Dick Trail Map:Govenor Dick Trail Map
It is highly recommended that you check out the map, and perhaps carry one on your ride, until you become familiar with the area. Here are some important things to know to plan a successful trip to Governor Dick (“GD”):
- Ranging from Easy to Difficult, GD offers a great variety of single track, double track, and groomed (but steep) gravel pathways. The map for Governor Dick is an excellent resource to plan our ride.
- There are trails at Governor Dick that are challenging to beginner AND advanced level riders. Planning your ride in advance may help you have a more enjoyable experience.
- Beginners WILL be challenged at some point on most of the trails at Governor Dick.
- If you are looking – in this area – to either learn or to teach someone to ride, we would suggest trying Swatara State Park (under the Trails Menu above).
- Trail 15 – fondly nicknamed ‘the demoralizer’ – is perhaps the most challenging trail in the area. It offers riders an opportunity to measure their abilities. This trail is not recommended for beginners, but you’d be remiss not to ride it if you’re an intermediate or expert level rider.
- The park offers standard PA terrain; rocks, roots, stumps, etc. Overall, however, the trail system at GD is perhaps best considered intermediate.
There are several access points to the park, but the safest, easiest, and the largest is located at: 3283 Pinch Road West, Cornwall, PA 17016. Directions from the park’s website are below:
40 14′ 13.22″ N
76 27′ 38.17″ W
- From the Turnpike: Lancaster-Lebanon exit. Turn right onto Rt. 72 South. Travel about 1 mile to turn right onto Cider Press Rd. Next stop sign, turn right onto Pinch Rd. The Center is at the top of the steep hill on the right.
- From Ephrata: Travel west on 322 toward Hershey. Take Mt Gretna exit. At bottom of ramp, turn left onto 117 North. In the town of Mt Gretna turn left onto Pinch Rd. The Center is 1 mile on the left.
- From Lancaster: Travel north on Rt. 72, through Manheim. Turn left onto Pinch Rd. go about 1 1/2 miles. The Center is at the top of the steep hill on the right.
- From Harrisburg : Travel east on Rt. 322 past Hershey. Turn right onto 117 South. Remain on 117 S through Colebrook. In the town of Mt Gretna, turn right onto Pinch Rd. the Center is 1 mile on the left.
RULES of the PARK
Everyone’s least favorite subject; this is so important for us to continue our progress with gaining trail access for our community. If you boil it down, really one rule applies; RESPECT. Please respect the rules, the trails, and the staff. Remember that bikers yield to all other recreational users. Let go of your attempt at winning the ‘KOM,’ hop off the saddle, and say hello to other trail users. This goes a long way in our ongoing efforts to increase trail access.
Former Trail Liaisons Matthew and Desiree McElheny – as well as many other SAMBA and non-SAMBA members – have dedicated a tremendous amount of time, work, and dedication to improving and maintaining the trails at Governor Dick. With that in mind, SAMBA respectfully requests that – when visiting Governor Dick – please ride the trails that are open to bicycles and practice respect.
The Governor Dick trails are open for riding from dawn to dusk. Night Riding is NOT permitted.