Several gnomes have been spotted along the trails at Hershey Medical Center over the past few weeks and their numbers seem to be growing! We are not quite sure if they are migrating to these woods or have been here all along. The gnomes seem to be friendly but do not like to be picked up and held. They have been spotted hanging around hollow trees and stumps and seem to like the rocky areas where there are a lot of ferns. Maybe you caught a glimpse out of the corner of your eye on a recent ride? Gnomes bring good luck so if you know of a gnome that is looking to re-locate please feel free to direct them to HMC.
SAMBA/NBB HMC Gnome challenge contest rules
- Meet at “The Beach” kiosk area at HMC at 8:30 on 7/27 to register. Just inside the gate on Reservoir rd.
- Go out and ride.
- Search for gnomes. Gnomes will be asked to re-locate before the start to keep it fair.
- Take selfies with gnomes. Decide if you are going for the GRAND PRIZE package requiring 4 gnome selfies.
- Return to “The Beach” to verify photos, post photos to SAMBA Facebook and claim prizes!!!
GRAND PRIZE PACKAGE from New Belgium Brewing & SAMBA (First one to snap 4 selfies and verify AT SAME TIME) includes:
Case of NBB Fat Tire Ale, Grand Trunk NBB hammock, NBB Baseball cap, NBB bandana, NBB frisbee, NBB patch kit, NBB bottle opener, NBB stickers, Stan’s Notubes sealant, Gu gels and SAMBA pint glass!
The first three participants that snap 3 selfies and verify photos win a prize package from New Belgium Brewing.
1st PRIZE: Case of NBB Fat Tire Ale, Grand Trunk NBB hammock, NBB Baseball cap, NBB bandana, NBB frisbee, NBB stickers,
2nd PRIZE: 12 pack NBB Fat Tire Ale, NBB Baseball cap, NBB bandana, NBB frisbee, NBB stickers
3rd PRIZE: 12 pack NBB Fat Tire Ale, NBB Baseball cap, NBB bandana, NBB frisbee, NBB stickers
Good luck to all!
Make it a day at HMC trails! We have our monthly group ride scheduled for 9:00, Ladies Ride at 9:30 and Ride with Berks Area Mountain Biking Association (BAMBA) at 10:00. Find all events and info here:
GNOME FUN FACTS:
- Garden gnomes bring good luck! Gnomes were regarded as good luck charms by our ancestors.
- Gnomes are banned from the Royal Horticultural Society Chelsea Flower Show.
- There are three categories of mass-produced gnomes: Worker gnomes, who always carry tools; at-ease gnomes who typically carry a pipe and cultural gnomes who have a musical instrument in hand.
- Gnomes have a life expectancy of 400 years.
- Their main enemies? Mean humans who destroy the environment and trolls.
- Male gnomes always wear red caps.
- The world’s oldest garden gnome, called Lampy, has been living at Lamport Hall in the UK for 125 years
- In the 1980s, the Gnome Liberation Front stole gnomes and sent the owners photos of them from landmarks around the globe.
- Gnomes are generally vegetarian. They like to drink mead dew made from fermented honey, fermented raspberries, and spiced gin as a nightcap.
- Gnomes kiss by rubbing noses. They also use nose rubbing as a greeting equivalent to human handshaking.